The port of Brussels used to extend right into the heart of the city. A swing bridge separated the Bassin des Barques from the Bassin des Marchands. It was on these long quays that business was conducted. The site, traditionally associated with the sale of fish, is located near Saint Catherine’s Church. A market called "Vismet" was active there from 1884 to 1955.
Even today, the Quai au Bois à Brûler and the Quai aux Briques, which surround the Marché aux Poissons, bear witness to abundant economic, food and gastronomic activity. Port activities continued at this location until the beginning of the 20th century, when the basins were filled in. Saint Catherine’s Church was built on the site of the Sainte-Catherine basin between 1854 and 1874. There is no fish market there now, but for decades the site has been a mecca for fish and shellfish restaurants in the capital.
Old Port, fish market
Location: Quai aux Briques, 1000 Brussels