The steam engine displayed above the Canal dates from 1923. It was built at Grosses Forges et Usines de La Hestre in Haine-Saint-Pierre. In 2011, it was installed on a metal bridge over the waterway as it passes Tour & Taxis. This was a Port of Brussels initiative, in collaboration with the SNCB-NMBS, to commemorate the 175th anniversary of the coming of the railway to Belgium. The railway bridge where it is located, at Place des Armateurs, is just a few dozen metres away from Allée Verte, the starting-point of Western Europe's first passenger line. In 1835 it connected Brussels to Mechelen. The locomotive on display was active in the Port of Brussels area until 1969.
Location: Place des Armateurs, 1000 Brussels