In the last century, this was known as the Jean Dubrucq Provincial Boating School. Opened in 1925, it took boatmen's children aged six to eighteen years. As their parents' work involved travel, children could board seven days a week. The school is located near the Vergote Dock ‰ÛÒ the wider section of the Canal near Tour & Taxis. Closed in the 1990s, the red-brick school building, typical of early industrial architecture, was then used as an entertainment venue, hosting private functions. The City of Brussels then reclassified it as an educational site, and since its renovation in 2012 it has been home to a secondary school, the Athénée Marguerite Yourcenar.
The old boating school
Location: Rue Claessens, 10, 1020 Laeken